Thursday, June 19, 2008

Elliot Lake Trip

We were blessed with the opportunity to fly to Elliot Lake, Ontario to visit my Grandma Ogrins, Nanny (great Grandma), Aunty Ruth and Uncle Mike, Uncle Roger and Aunt Donnalynn, and other friends and family in that area. It was a wonderful experience and a flood of memories came back as I walked and played where I had as a child. Some things looked different coming from an older perspective, but somethings were the same. It was also priceless to watch my girls create their own memories of my Grandma's house. From playing in the "Troll's Homestead", to the Big Tree, to going for a walk through 'the forest' down to the lake ( I found out is called Angel Lake)where my Grandpa Ogrins had taken us children hundreds of times during our visits there. We flew from Calgary to Toronto, then from Toronto to Sudbury where my Aunty Ruth picked us up and drove us to Elliot Lake to Grandma's house. It was neat to see what I recognized and remembered from 12 years ago when I was there last. The girls warmed up to Grandma and Aunty Ruth right away, and had no troubles falling to sleep, and playing with them. Grandma and Aunty Ruth got lots of hugs from them and the girls enjoyed every minute of their stay and did not want to go home. They also had fun playing with Maiga's little girl Shia, and my cousin Stephanie, and also Uncle Roger at the beach. Nanny spoiled them like usual and the girls especially loved the princess dresses that she had bought them. It didn't take them long to get used to Grandma's cat Tobby. The girls would willingly get toys for Tobby to play with and would play hide and seek with him. Now my Aunty Ruth and Uncle Mike's dog, Binckley, was another story. They were quite intimidated by the bearlike dog. He was huge but was a very friendly dog. Esther and Skai got knocked over a number of times by his monstrous tail, but by the time he had to go home, they gave him a hug good-bye. Going to church was an interesting experience. They have a tiny branch there and only 4 priesthood holders (the Elders being 2 of them). The whole of church service was only 30 minutes long and then we went back home, and we did our own primary for the girls in Grandma's sun room, where I remember having primary as a child. I must say that one of the most memorable events that I had was on my birthday going to the graveyard to pay respects to my Grandpa Ogrins (who died on my birthday when I was 16), and my Grandpapa. It was an emotional time, for the whole visit wasn't the same without him being there. But it was good to show my daughters pictures of their Great Grandpa and other relatives, and for them to place a flower in honor of their lives. It was hard to say goodbye to that place and as I walked through the house and the yard that I knew as a child for what may be the last time. I had spent almost every holiday and summer vacation at that place with Grandma and Grandpa Ogrins and to say goodbye to it all was hard. I sure hope that we will be able to go one last time before Grandma sells it, but we will see. There was so much more that happened and that we got to see and do, but you will have to come over for a slide presentation to get the detailed report!

No comments: